women out number men in prevalence of thyroid diseases. The symptoms of thyroid disease are not so specific to it and hence often less investigated or neglected. Please see the list of symptoms related to thyroid disease; the more symptoms you have, the more likelihood of thyroid disease.
1. Tiredness: it can be due to hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid) or overactive thyroid.
2. Dry skin: usually a sign of hypothyroidism. Dry skin can lead to itching.
3. Weight changes: weight gain can occur in hypothyroidism and weight loss in hyperthyroidism (overactive thyroid).
4. Palpitation: is the feeling of one’s own heart beat. It is a sign of hyperthyroidism.
5. Irregular periods: can occur in both overactive and underactive thyroid
6. Hair loss: can occur in both overactive and underactive thyroid
7. Fertility issues: can occur in both overactive and underactive thyroid
8. Memory loss: can be a symptom of hypothyroidism. Elderly people are more prone to memory loss with thyroid disease
9. Mood changes: anxiety can be sign of hyperthyroidism and depression in hypothyroidism
10. Intolerance to cold and heat: women with underactive thyroid find it difficult to tolerate cold and those with hyperactive thyroid will find it difficult to tolerate heat.
11. Constipation: is a symptom of hypothyroidism