Can we Start using Dapagliflozin (Forxiga, Farxiga) in type1 diabetes patients?
You might have come across a news that there is now an oral drug that has been approved for use in subjects with type 1 diabetes.
You Should understand the following facts about this drug and its approval.
- In this research (DEPICT 2), only subjects who are adults were included. So if you are a child with type 1 diabetes, you should not use the drug
- The average HbA1c reduction was around 0.4%
- Recommended only if your BMI > 27Kg/m2
- More Patients using the drug had a potentially fatal complication called Diabetic Ketoacidosis (DKA)
- This is not a substitute to insulin. It is used along with insulin
- It should not be used if your insulin requirements are low
- It should be used only under extreme medical supervision